19 Jan 2012

Re-writes - Friend or Foe?


Let me say this right up front, if it's not a passion of yours, you need to ask yourself seriously why you are doing it. I'm talking about writing. The commitment 'tis not for the faint-hearted'!
Just the writing of the book takes enormous effort, but what happens afterwards is where the most work comes in.


Re-writes - make them your friend, but don't let them stay over too long.  I was on number eight of Deadly Obsession when I thought to myself - I can re-write and re-write and re-write and will it ever be perfect? No! There comes a time when you just have to say 'enough'! Give it your best shot and then get it out there.

When I first published on Amazon, I realised that maybe some of those re-writes were because I was nervous to put myself up for the whole world to see. A novel is quite an intimate thing; it's a part of you; it's a snapshot of what you've been thinking about for a while.  It's hugely daunting and I didn't realise until I was faced with the upload button just how scared I was. But the fear passes, believe me. Mine has been safely relegated to the recesses of my brain because all I have time to think about at the moment is marketing Deadly Obsession and writing my next one!

Gabi



No comments:

Post a Comment