30 Jan 2012

The Hunger Games - will I ever write a story like this?

I heard the buzz from a friend's daughter just before Christmas. She and I often swap YA books and when one finds a winner, we pass it on to the other. I had just swapped Beastly and Red Riding Hood with her for Shiver, Linger and Forever (I'm a faster reader).

"Have you read The Hunger Games?" She asked.
"The what?" I looked blank.
"Its amazing, the best. You have to read it. My new all time favourite."

So, I googled it, the hype built. I started reading blogs, and news releases. The excitement grew. Then I found the movie trailers, the voting for who should play the heroine, the countdown to the premiere, and I was hooked.
Ordered them straight away from Amazon, and let them lie. Why? How?
Well, I had to finish The Colour Purple (Alice Walker) for my book club get together next Friday and, I was engrossed in Linger (Maggie Stiefvater). The minute I flipped the cover at the end of the book, I dived into The Hunger Games.

That was last Monday. I started the second in the trilogy, Catching Fire five days later, having devoured THG.

Suzanne Collins had me at 'this is the day of the reaping' on page 1. The story launches right into the action from the get go and there is plenty of it.
Katniss is a very compelling heroine although not always likeable at first. Her interaction with Prim and then Rue, gives her a soft side that she doesn't often show due to the nature of the situation she finds herself in probably. I don't want to share too much more because I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. The story is the grip in THG. Its a whole new world, and it takes you deep inside.

One day, I hope my stories will do that. When I write, I get totally engrossed in the story I am writing, and the hours fly by in a heartbeat. I'm hoping I am able to do the same for my readers.


Gabi

No comments:

Post a Comment