17 Jan 2012

Plotting for Sedgwick Green


I'm working on the outline and plot for Sedgwick Green .... no, let me retrace my steps a bit here. I started the Sedgwick Green series in summer 2010. There were a couple of characters that have been nagging me to include them in a novel for over five years now, and finally I found the perfect spot for them - Sedgwick Green.

My ideas spring up when least expected and bite me, and Sedgwick Green was no different. The premise for the story is based on - three cottages in remote, English village rented out by eccentric owner to new tenants every summer; proviso being the 'nutants' need to be 'single with a story'. It gave me huge scope to work in the sorts of elements I love in a story namely, mystery, suspense, intrigue, romance, murder and a bit of magic....


At this stage, I have a broad idea of who my characters are, but haven't drilled down into their idiosyncrasies yet. The most important part of the plotting for me is what happens to them. The story usually hones in on them when they're going through a turning point/major happening in their lives. Through the book I look at what happens to them, why and how they come out of it at the end. I love twists myself and find every possibility to bring surprises to the tale.

One of the great skills I am trying to develop is to build a hook/create tension at the end of a chapter. What I mean is that sentence or paragraph at the end of a chapter that sets you up for the next one, and creates such an impression you have to turn the page. It's when the author leaves you gasping in shock, or desperate to find out what happens next, or drops a bombshell.
I've read so many authors who are fantastic at doing this, and off the top of my head, I'd say Maggie Stiefvater is one and Veronica Henry another.

And with that, I'm primed to craft my next shock/horror sentence at the end of my next chapter!

Gabi

No comments:

Post a Comment