5 Dec 2012

The power of balance

I owe you all an apology for my lack of posts over the last five months. There's no excuse, I have been remiss in updating my blog. I stand suitably chastised, trust me!
Where have I been? What have I been up to?
Honestly... enjoying the end of summer (Jul - Sep), feeling the thrill of autumn (Oct - Nov), and now the chill of winter (Dec), and working my day job through it all. Other than that, I cannot claim anything earth-shattering that may have taken me away from my writing. Pity, I hear you say, because if you had been tapping away at the keyboard to finish the next novel, we might just be able to forgive you...!

I have not been writing, and I feel it. Its not something I can put my finger on, but I feel slightly underpowered, mentally restless, and, as a wonderful friend once told me, 'thinking too much'. I've been holding back my natural creative outlet because 'there's no time', or 'I'm not good enough, or 'I don't have anything worthwhile to say' .... the list is seemingly endless.

Then yesterday, I stumbled upon a post  The 4-Hour Novel: How to Balance Work, Life, Blogging and Your Passion By Ollin Morales which in turn led me to his blog, Courage to Create.

It brought home to me again, the power of balance, where setting aside hours in a day or in a week to get certain stuff done WITHOUT breaking one's neck is the way to sustain different aspects of life.

It's about ongoing growth, not a massive spurt. About consistency, not a bender. Its simple, not complicated.
That's what Ollin talks about.

Of course, after reading the post, I had to see what he was up to on his site. He's fascinating, refreshing and personable. Have a look, its definitely worth a read.
He has re-inspired me; made me stop, look and think. I wish they had a smiley face feature on this... so think smiley face, right here. Sometimes, a slice of someone else's life, however small, gives you a 'eureka moment' and prompts you to do stuff in another way.

Thanks Ollin!





No comments:

Post a Comment