25 Apr 2012

Rain

Born in Britain, lived in South Africa, back now in Britain - that's me. Sometimes, people look at me as if I'm crazy. Why would I leave a country where the sun shines every day, where rain showers are short and sharp.

'How do you deal with the British weather?' They ask, particularly on days like this.

When we have days like today, grim by most people's standards, I understand their sentiments, and yet, I have to admit, I love it! The rain, the gloom, the chill in the air, the wind.
Some of my best walks have been through the woods on a day like today.

The forest is alive with sound as the rain and wind talk to the trees. Drops of rain hit the ground and drip from the branches of tress in a constant chatter. Leaves are great whisperers when the wind moves through them. If you listen you can hear the forest sigh with pleasure.

Rain is Nature's way of washing the world. I love its fresh smell, and the way it releases the rich scent of sodden earth. The wind in my hair and across my face loosens the cobwebs of conditioning and I am free and blissful.

Its not a good feeling if I'm trying to get away from the wind, because its relentless, but when I stop resisting it, and just allow myself to feel in the moment, it never fails to make me feel alive.

The incredible natural beauty we have in this country, and the spectacular seasonal changes we experience are due, largely, to the amount of rain we have.

Canada and parts of Northern America are similar - once they all used to be one large landmass.

Who can forget Bella and Edward falling in love in Edwards forest where the sun seemed to shine only in that magnificent field of flowers.

Its different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me, the rain is heaven-sent.


No comments:

Post a Comment