18 Jan 2013

3 Easy Steps to make Disappointment Disappear!

We've all felt the pangs of disappointment at some stage in our lives. In the past, I've let them crush me for days on end where I feel like a mine shaft has collapsed on me. If wallowing had been a talent, I'd have achieved full marks. But giving in to the feelings of desolation and hopelessness, serves no earthly purpose. In fact, if anything, these feelings will hold you back from moving forward and just keep you rooted to the spot.

This week, I had one of those moments. I was disappointed. Something that I worked hard at, hoped for and wanted, I didn't get... at the last minute. I felt the lurch of my heart when I read the email. It dropped from somewhere in my chest to the bottom of my stomach, and I felt the familiar pang of disappointment. I texted friends with a brief summary, and thought 'Oh well', accompanied by the requisite sigh. And my world looked greyer, less vital and alive, things that I could have had joy with seemed lifeless and listless to me. Disappointment had me in its firm grip. The texts from friends came pouring in and I allowed myself to wallow until ... I have a brave friend called Sally. She's lively, gorgeous, fun and forthright. Life doesn't get her down; she gets on top of it and rides it like a cowboy!
This is what she texted me: 'Shit. Big hug. Have a bloody good sulk and then pull yourself together!'


My first reaction? I laughed - because she's straight to the point (did I expect anything else?), and because its the best advice anyone has ever given me.
I moped for a couple of hours until I realised that I just didn't feel like moping any more.  I didn't feel that bad. I knew there would be other opportunities, that perhaps there was something better out there that could now come along, and that I felt the zing of life again in my veins (softly at first, yeah, but there nevertheless).

So what's my secret to making disappointment disappear? Here it is:
1. Give in to a good wallow - cry, stamp your feet, sit staring into space.... whatever it is you do when you feel rubbish about something. But give yourself a cut-off time! That could be ten minutes, one hour, two hours... but don't let it be longer than that.
2. Get active - when you reach your cut off time, make the conscious decision to rise out of the hole you are in. Get active, put on some cool music, smile. You'll be surprised how much a smile can make you feel brighter. Get out and do something different, a physical activity to take your mind off things.
3. Focus on your dream - your dream is still there; its still achievable, you can still feel it, taste it, see it... so focus on it. Feel the joy and the happiness, and the way you will be when you have it. Live it in your head.This is the most important thing - wallowing in disappointment prevents you from feeling happy. And feeling happy is how you will be when you reach your dream. By the Law of Attraction, you get what you focus on! So disappointment brings more disappointment.... happiness brings more happiness. Its not rocket science.

Now, as with all things, you need to practice this... the first time you try it, you may only achieve a small success  the second time, a bigger one... until eventually like me, you'll have a big disappointment in your life and be over it and happy again with a short time.

Go for it... you have nothing to lose.

Gabi x


No comments:

Post a Comment